Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Internal Soundtrack: The Night Starts Here


Over at my work blog I started a regular feature called the "Internal Soundtrack" that I decided to move over here to Giga Byte Me.

In my first post on the topic (on Eddie Grant's "Electric Avenue"), I explain that the internal soundtrack is the personal soundtrack we all have running in our heads, even if we're not aware that there's a song playing there.

But in the early morning, when you are still half asleep, listen closely. I bet you hear a song in there. The more you listen for your internal soundtrack, the more aware you’ll become of it. I had a roommate once who would, at the weirdest moments – like at two o’clock in the morning when I was just getting home from fixing an ex-girlfriend’s flat tire – ask me what song was in my head. Whether he knew it or not, he trained me to hear my internal soundtrack.

It’s like tracking your dreams: the more you try to remember your dreams, the better you’ll find you recall them.


On this note, I realized today that "The Night Starts Here," from the latest album from Montreal's wonderband Stars, was running through my head. It's got the same soft, shifting lyric that typifies the band's writing, and is accompanied by a bass line that is disarming in its simplicity.

It's the fourth album for the band, and has a smooth confidence to it. At times I feel like Stars songs are over-produced, but I get over it soon enough.

Anyone else heard the new album? How do you think it compares?

P.S. For those of you who are interested, you can read earlier posts in the "Internal Soundtrack" by clicking here.

No comments: